Friday, August 15, 2008

Um, can you just walk?


I'd like to add to the list of rages (road, 'roid, etc) something I'm calling "pedestrian rage."  It's like when you are trying to cross the street, say Broadway at 14th street here in Manhattan, and it literally takes you 10 minutes.  Not because you have a broken foot and are on crutches, no, because a couple in front of you are hooking up in the middle of the street, and then there is the lost tourists stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, and the there is the group walking four across followed by the moms and their giant strollers--you basically get the picture.  I know not everyone is a fast walker like myself, but seriously, when is it ever smart to hold a conversation with a buddy in the middle of the busiest sidewalk in Manhattan--come on.  I've even stopped saying "excuse me" and just pushing these idiots (maybe nudging is a better word.)  Sure, I've gotten looks like "you bitch," "hey, you just hit me with your giant LL Bean boat bag," and "what's your hurry, can't you just enjoy the congested, polluted, dirty streets like the rest of us?" Nope, I can't, and after 7 years of putting up with it, I'm tired, frustrated, and just plain stressed.  I have what you call ped-rage so just get the hell out of my way.
I love how I googled "pedestrian traffic" and a pic of a mob of people and clowns popped up.  So fitting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

don't lie... you push (not nudge) people. i've seen it.

how about when you go to a mall and there is someone just standing looking confused where people are trying to walk? it's almost like they made a wrong turn and suddenly they forget they are in a place full of people... i love it...

i've started to be like you on the street. i push and don't say excuse me and i give the people who get in my way a dirty look. it's great.