Thursday, August 14, 2008

You have no new messages

Hi y'all, I'm back--miss me? By the looks of things, probably not.  I wish I could say that I was on a summer vacay getting a tan and relaxing as my reason for not blogging--the truth is, I was just being lazy. I've been thinking a lot about this blog, other blogs, the blogosphere in general, and "real" journalism and reporting, and what the prior is doing to the later (hint: ruining it.) It got me down, so I sort of fell off the blogging horse. The catalyst to my funk was this Eric Alterman piece in The Nation about new media erasing "old media" like newspapers, and the serious shit we'll be in when real journalism disappears. I am a news junky, and the day I can't buy an actual newspaper or magazine, or the NYT goes all digital, or actual reporting is replaced by the AP, Reuters, and bloggers, is a day I hope never arrives. Unfortunately, it's kind of here, and me blogging here is adding to the whole mess. So I had a crisis of sorts. Then it occurred to me that I could blog about how much I love the Grey Lady, the thick-ass September fashion magazines, every single news, current event, and monthly magazine out there, plus everything else still printed and sold daily, weekly, and monthly. I NEVER EVER want to see them disappear. So come on advertisers, put some money back into print journalism. The readers are still out there. We need these guys--and seriously, if the future of journalism is people like this dude, or this blog, we are all kind of doomed.
In the mean time, at least I have something to blog about. 

No comments: