Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'll need a stressball on 11/4 and a stiff drink



OK, scary thought, but just take a moment: what if Obama loses in November?

I'm a cynic by nature, so of course this is a question I would ask, but take a look at the pole numbers out today--I know it's way too early for anything, but if Obama is such a clinch, what the hell is the problem? Here are some the factors I think are at play. And for the record, though it's none of your business, I am voting for Obama and a registered Independent.

Ok, the media has to stop acting like a bunch of horny teenagers at the cool kid's house party. Thanks to them, Obama has surpassed "politician huge" and entered like "Bradgelina twins huge" or "Britney Spears comeback record huge." It's just getting to be way too much, and I fear it's alienating a lot of independent voters out there. They're the ones who need to feel reassured that yeah, Obama's a cool guy, but he's not afraid to tell it like it is, get down and dirty, then have that master plan to get us all out of the mess.

Remember when Barack was the underdog, and Hilary was the over-confident president in waiting? Barack needs to get back to that humbleness--and stop with this crap. I know you have to convince your donors you are the best bet, but why not dwell on why your policies are better than John McCain's? Just totally skip the "odds talk." Nothing gets under my skin more--and that was Hilary's game.

It was great to see Obama go over to the Middle East--but his European visit was a little over the top. So what if the Germans, the French, and the English love Obama? They can't vote for him. And the European opinion obviously has little to no influence on the average American voter (see polling data above.) Lest us not forgot the infamous John Kerry "looks French" slam.

And there is the persistent matter of race. I hope it's not that big an issue, but it can't be overlooked. I just don't trust the older generation, and the blue collars over looking it.

So seriously, will there be riots if Obama loses? Will there be allegations of voter fraud? Weeks of recounts? Will Obama retire from politics all together? I mean, can he just go back to being a Senator? And what about the democratic party--will they be completely fractured? My head is spinning. Here's to November 4th--may we all survive it.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

After Obama's speech in Berlin, I was watching a news report with a French journalist who, when talking about the French opinion on John McCain, said "how do I, uh, say this? The French just think he's a little...of a different generation." I thought it was hilarious and that's why I care about European opinion on American politics: the comic relief.