Sunday, July 20, 2008

America's Next Top Dog's Got Talent Idol


Forgive me for the title of this post--but seriously, summer + TV - cable = way too many reality show competitions to keep track of. I hate the singing, the dancing, the sword swallowing, and the weird Big Brother hook-ups that have come to define summer TV programming. But just when I was about to reach for my half read Vanity Fair I stumbled upon the second episode of Greatest American Dog, and immediately I was hooked. This is my kind of reality show, and frankly, as a proud owner of a brilliant black pug named Grover (featured above), I should BE ON this show.

Anyway, the show is great, the dogs are adorable and surprisingly smart, and the owners are complete characters as anyone that obsessed with their dog is expected to be. Already in the second episode, alliances are forming, everyone seems annoyed at the guy in a toupee and his yippy jack russell, and a dog even got seriously injured. That had me in tears and hugging poor Grover who was desperately trying to break free of my smothering and teary grasp. The injured dog was Star (below), and just watching as her owner carried her like a baby, crying his eyes out, blood from her injured ear soaking his sweatshirt was almost too much to bear. But Star turned out to be fine--and even went on to wow the judges. They are my pick to win the whole thing (though the young guy and his boxer may take it--whatever.) The only drawback to this show is the corny judges who basically struggle to find things wrong with the dogs--but who cares. This is fun for the whole family, pets included, so I definitely give this show a high five.

No comments: