Saturday, July 5, 2008

Consume This

I'd like to introduce "Consume This," a regular column here at Silently Judging. See, I am a bit of a shopper--clothes, shoes, books, gadgets, anything--and I get asked a lot "where did you get that?" I also buy a lot of stuff I wish I hadn't (see shoes). This column will spotlight the best of the best--stuff that's actually worth spending whatever money you have left after paying rent, bills, student loans, whatever.

Ok, Toms Shoes. Amazing. I've seen them in the pages of Vogue, British Vogue, Lucky, etc for a few years. They are basically slip on canvas shoes, reminiscent of Keds , but way more chic. I went to the website last year and actually picked out a pair I wanted but didn't actually purchase (ps-colors and sizes sell out fast so don't delay like I did.) Anyway, as soon as spring hit here in NYC, I saw boys and girls wearing them--they looked comfortable and nice with skinny jeans, so I decided to give them a go. I am totally addicted. I walk about 10 city blocks everyday (to and from work), and I've learned to wear flat comfortable shoes. I've done sneakers (not cute), ballet flats (hurt my heels), flip flops (killed my arch, heels, and balls of my foot), and cute sandals (gave me blisters.) Walking in Toms is like walking in your favorite pair sneakers, but without looking like a commuter from White Plains or a tourist from Minnesota. The canvas stretches a little bit to form your feet; the interior sole is a soft suede; and the bottom grips slippery pavement when it rains. I've not got one blister or foot cramp. I definitely recommend these bad boys, and as an added bonus, with every pair you buy Toms donates a pair to a child in need. Oh, and I should mention the guiltless price tag of only $42.00. Here's the pair I bought--madras for spring/summer--and I plan to buy a darker pair for fall/winter.
Final word: if those t-strap sandals are killing you, and you never thought Crocs would look so appealing, trust me--Toms shoes are the way to go.

2 comments:

Blake said...

Hey There
Thanks so much for writing about TOMS in your blog. I also fell in love with them while I was living in NYC- the best choice for walking all those blocks! I would love to send you a gift to show our appreciation. Will you email me your mailing address?

Thanks again, take care!

Caitlin @ TOMS Shoes

Stephanie said...

Even with the gift Caitlin (or blake? I'm confused) offers, I'm still not sold. Too much like a loafer version of a Birkenstock to me.