Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wolfman's other Fan Club

So, last week I was flipping through the TV in my hotel room--I was in Montreal and trying to find a US news channel. I stopped on CNBC's Squawk Box because they were talking about McDonald's awesome third quarter performance due to the introduction of the fried chicken biscuit breakfast sandwich (ew), and I was sucked in.

After the commercial break, they went live from the floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange. The anchors were pushing through the crowd of traders in colorful smocks, notepads in hand, barking numbers, and talking phonecalls. Totally weird. So they get to this platform where the oil prices are flashing on this huge board, and they start talking to this trader, Eric "Wolfman" Wilkinson, a regular on the show. My oh my--the Wolfman is extremely attractive in that former coke-head with a boxer's nose, I am manly enough to wear a pink shirt under my trader's smock, and look like Eric Roberts' brother kind of way. I totally missed the huge argument about rising oil stocks or prices or something. (Wolfman enters at the 2:45 mark)

So I googled Wolfman (seriously, my search was "wolfman + cnbc"). Actually, to be totally honest, a friend of mine who I texted about Wolfman googled him first and reported back what he found. But seeing is believing. There is only one link that actually has to do with THE Wolfman, and it's a chatroom thread, something called The Data Lounge. The "DL" bills itself as: 10 Years of Gay Gossip, Politics and Pointless Bitchery. Seems like a bunch a gay gentlemen were so taken by the Wolfman the idea of a Wolfman Fan club was thrown around among other little tidbits I would file under "TMI." The last post was in April--and still no real fan club. As a straight woman in New York, I don't think I can join the DL, but I invite those guys to stop by The Silent Judge where the Wolfman lives on.

I'm reminded of something Samantha said to Smith on "Sex and the City" when they were discussing the path to stardom: "First the gays, then the girls, then the world." Are you listening CNBC--get the Wolfman a show!

No comments: