Monday, July 14, 2008

Consume This

The perfect scarf--I have been in search of one for as long as I can remember. I have a whole box of scarves I never wear. It's like Goldilocks and the Three Bears--they can't be too trendy, to thin, too thick, they can't look cheap but can't be too expensive, the color has to work with my entire wardrobe, they must keep me warm to some degree, and they have to work in any season. Enter the Kikoy--the most perfect scarf on this planet.

Last year, I was checking in on the fashion blog, Fashionista.com, and stumbled upon this post regarding a model's find: the kikoy scarf. I was immediately in love with what I saw. I jumped over to the website, flipped through the selection, found like 4 scarves I wanted, but paused when I saw that I had to order through the UK. I didn't want it to take forever shipping from England, or get lost in the mail, so I put off ordering. For three months I thought about the kikois, and finally I ordered one, just in time for spring. And to my surprise the ordering process was super easy, the scarf came within three days of my order, and the price was more than reasonable: $34.00. I take my Kikoy everywhere--to the office (what AC?), on the airplane, to the beach (it doubles as a sarong), the movies, etc etc.

It's worth noting that kikois are a product The Kikoy Womens Group of Kenya. The knotting of the kikoy is a tradition in Kenya, and this group was put together to preserve its legacy. Just knowing that the kikoy is a handmade product that supports the well-being of this group of women makes the purchase that much better.

And looking at Caroline, below, it seems I ordered the exact same color as her. And it does look that good even on an un-model. Trust me.


Bottom line: If your craving for good scarf has taken you to Urban Outfitters and their generic "hipster" whatever--put down that synthetic mess and log onto the Kikoy website and buy an original and truly beautiful scarf you will wear forever.

No comments: